Sunday, August 23, 2009

Fiddle Camp

Hey Everyone,
I had the greatest time at fiddle camp a week ago! It was a blast. There were so many nice people from so many backgrounds, and everyone was there to fiddle or bust! It was so much fun. There was constant jamming going on until the wee hours of the morning. You've never met so many people so intent on old-time fiddling!
While I was there, I decided to make Heidi a triangle so that we could jam when I got home. It was pretty sweet, working in the old blacksmith shop. I'm pretty much a professional at "smithing" now, so if you have any questions, or need any intricate metalworking done, you know who to call.
The campus was really neat. One day we went hiking and saw an old trappers cabin and found some old traps inside. They still worked! I didn't get any fingers or toes caught in the traps, but the banana that I was carrying with me saw better days...There was also a grave by the cabin, which is where a lot of ghost stories about Ashokan get started. We also saw a bear when we were hiking, which was awesome! Up close and personal. Too bad I didn't have my camera! You will notice distinctly fewer photos in this blog post than the next one, where Heidi and I had an adventure together...
The food was great at camp! The people were really nice! Everyone left there instruments in a big instrument room and there was no theft at all going on. What a nice place. Being at fiddle camp also inspired me to grow a goatee :)
Another thing that I did at fiddle camp (other than fiddle a lot) was to learn to clog! I stepped out of my comfort zone and did it! It was a lot of exercise, and the humidity made it slightly uncomfortable, but it was actually a lot of fun! The teacher liked me so much she even gave me some dancing shoes after the week was over!
If anyone has the opportunity to go to fiddle camp, you should definitely go! They even have classes for if you've never fiddled before in your life! Really a worthwhile experience!

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you decided to blog on fiddle camp! We thought you had a great time and enjoyed it immensely. It was good to hear you so happy!

    ReplyDelete